View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 20:04   #30
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Marine killer deserves clemency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Which is why I said if happened as it did for the soldier. The point I'm making is if a civvy over here acted in the same or similar circumstances would he expected to serve a lesser sentence?

The reason I'm saying this is on 2 other forums I use plus on some Facebook groups people are having the attitude of "He's one of our boys, he's brave (which is never in question), he sees danger every day etc so he should be let off" which is utterly ridiculous.

Firstly he won't be let off and no one is suggesting it ,the suggestion from the General is that clemency should be shown reducing the sentence down to maybe 5 probably 10 yrs with no life parole on release .

Secondly ,as SMG has said soldiers with his level of training and experience could be SF who by necessity are wired differently to us mortals so some allowance must be made .

Thirdly ,being "one of our boys" has sod all to do with it ,he is guilty of a war crime and has been found guilty, the punishment should be based on the unique circumstances of war not compared to some little scroat killing someone in a drugs deal gone wrong