View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 14:23   #1044
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think that scraping licence fee or an alternate way of public funding is very short sighted, and would lead to an American style TV system. Quality Drama and the broad spectrum of minority interest viewing that the BBC produces would only be available via a pay TV, not to mention the educational output the BBC produces.

Considering the vast services that the BBC produces; TV, Radio, news, web services etc. I think it's a bargain at around £12/month. And I do understand, that for some people, that is difficult to afford. But the alternative would be more expensive.

It's public service broadcasting. And, with all public service provisions, not everyone benefits from a specific service. But for the country as a whole, it's a good and necessary service.
BBC is PayTV - as you say costs around £12 pm.

The difference is you can choose to subscribe to sky, BT, virgin etc whilst legally there is no choice but to pay license fee or not watch tv at all.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote