View Single Post
Old 16-08-2017, 21:43   #113
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: US: Violent clashes Charlottesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
They seceded in 1860 the first conflicts were in 1861 and no the north didn't recognise the C.S.A but at the time of hostilities they were technically not a part of the U.S and while slaves were a big reason there were other reasons for why they split and why the war happened. Despite the belief of the south it's a part of history and there are still many in those southern states who feel connected to that time and the confederacy and are not Nazi's or far right nutjobs at all. I get uneasy when we start messing about with any history as i feel it's a slippery slope that ends at some point with a worthless history rewritten so many times no one has any faith or belief in it.
And the statues weren't put up until the 1910's and 1920's, around the same time as the Jim Crow laws came in - they were part of the revisionist history of the badly treated South.

Lee himself said there shouldn't be statues of him.
Quote:
“I think it wiser,” he wrote in an 1869 letter, “not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”
Nobody has a problem with stuff like this being in a museum - but a statue is a celebration, and how can someone who was a traitor to the USA be celebrated; we don't see statues of Sir Oswald Mosley or Lord Haw Haw in the UK.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote