View Single Post
Old 16-08-2017, 21:13   #107
RizzyKing

Re: US: Violent clashes Charlottesville

Germany was very selective in it's teaching of history and that's not just me that's from my friends that were west germans at the time and it was taught with a very heavy dose of guilt whilst as i said in east germany the authorities absolved the population of any responsibility for what the Nazi's had done but gave a fuller education of it. Robert E Lee was what at that the time they called a southern gentleman and as nearly all such people he had slaves he wasn't responsible for the culture of slavery though he was like many many others a user of the culture. He was a very good general and achieved significant military victories and that's why statues were put up in his honour and he fought that war with honour for the time.

Do i as an individual agree with slavery absolutely not it is repugnant to me but i grew up in a country and culture that had long since adopted that position and I'm able to acknowledge that had i been bought up in the southern america of that time my opinion and perspective may have been radically different.