View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 20:40   #112
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Meanwhile a friend who lives a few streets away had an expensive bike stolen from just outside the side entrance of her house, behind a gate about a week ago. She's reported it to the police and received a crime number but that's about it so far.

Now if only the perpetrator had used some offensive terminology...
It's easier for the police to do something with an IP address. I've had my bike stolen and my house broken into and the police also didn't 'do' anything but aside from examining CCTV (which they did for the bike) and taking forensics (which they did for the break-in) if nothing turns up they are limited by a lack of information.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, 'offend' someone by calling them a name and virtually all hell breaks loose but suffer the real lasting trauma of a burglary and the actual invasion/theft/damage of your personal property and nobody seems to care.
I think you're being unfair by characterising this issue as people calling each other names. I looked at the story and assumed it was about people, largely women, getting horrific threats and violent language used against them online. I still think this is what they're primary going after although there will inevitably be the high-profile cases of them going after someone for something mild.

The enforcement of existing laws relating to threats of rape, death and violence though is perfectly acceptable to me and it shouldn't be a choice between that the enforcement of other laws. If there is then the police should prioritise the more serious crimes first but we should also see how we allocate resources.

However if you make this a case of someone calling someone an idiot online vs a old granny getting mugged in her own home then of course it's silly. We would agree on that, it's just not the debate we're having.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote