View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55   #188
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

Tata Communications (part of the Tata Group, which owns Land Rover and Corus) is planning to launch a bid for C&W Worldwide, it will end up as a bidding war between Vodafone and Tata. Still no news on VM!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8210B320120302

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Well for a start the competition commission will not allow it as Vodafone and BT will definately complain, they already have about Everything Everywhere and they were told to sell some of there spectrum.

TalkTalk TV has put its IPTV digital tv service under redevelopment which means it may re-launch it to new customers again, existing customers will not have any problems. The service is NOT currently available outside the London and Stevenage areas.

Cable and Wireless Worldwide planned an IPTV/Video service for its business customers in competition with Verizon's Fios service, that too was abandoned.

Cable and Wireless Worldwide has already made two attempts at the residential sector and has clearly showed that it has no interest selling directly to residential customers, they'd rather sell through other companies like Tesco Homephone,Post office homephone and Caudwell comms

Everything Everywhere currently sells Orange home broadband and home phone which is currently the worst in the UK, there was also a plan to launch a similar service under the Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile brand probably something like T-Online or T-home. It is not clear if they are as I don't think they will keep two brands for very long, I expect them to get rid of the T-Mobile brand and replace the whole thing with Orange or get rid of both brands and come up with something entirely new.

Virgin Mobile is not doing to bad as it is, there are ideas to build a 4G infrastructure and if that goes ahead it will eventually have a network of its own, 2G and 3G will of course still be provided by Everything Everywhere but could be phased out over time, but that would be a decade away.

As for TalkTalk, I wouldn't want them running my services, I want them gone! I would rather have TalkTalk with there false economy of a service and annoying advertisements go under instead of Cable and Wireless Worldwide.
A takeover of TalkTalk, C&W Worldwide and Everything Everywhere will not give VM a monopoly, because it will still have fewer customers (business and residential) than BT and will have less mobile customers than Vodafone/O2/3!

TalkTalk’s IPTV service could be massively improved by VM so it can reach the other 50% of the UK where it does not provide its TV service!

TalkTalk will not be running VM services, but the other way round, the TalkTalk, C&W Worldwide and Everything Everywhere will dissapear and be replaced by the "Virgin Media" and "Virgin Mobile" brands!

Everything Everywhere biggest issue is that there is a lack of integration and it uses 3 brands (Orange, T-Mobile and Everything Everywhere). Virgin Mobile is a small player in the Mobile Market, so buying the company will make it a serious play in the UK Mobile Market!

A takeover of TalkTalk, C&W Worldwide and Everything Everywhere will on the other hand make VM a powerful player in the phone, TV, Mobile and Internet markets in the UK!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote