Thread: Tivo V6 Sky Cinema Question
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Sky Cinema Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I've subscribed to Sky Cinema since about a year, so have no experience of how things were "before", but I've got a couple of particular gripes with the current offering.

1: I don't know how much of the archive library is HD&SD on Sky, compared with SD-only on Virgin. Their website also seems a little unclear on this point so I suspect they have the same setup as VM - HD for a certain amount of time after first-aired then SD only..but others may know for sure.. but I would like to see the proportion increase as VM's HD stuff seems pretty limited overall.

2: Error-319. I've had an open fault with VM-VOD since quite a few weeks for numerous HD-OD films giving the dreaded-error-319. Yes, I could easily record the films in question - and if I desperately want to watch a particular title I will. But not every film in the OD listing is being shown on the channels very often, and besides - it's quite clearly a problem in the VOD service that does seem to be taking months to resolve.

On that second point, at least now that VM have got this problem openly on the status page it feels like half the battle and even if the fix date keeps being put back, at least you know it's an ongoing problem. But I'm not sure whether the VOD people have a reliable way of knowing which titles are not working and therefore may need an individual fix - so it's a fortnightly or forum-based rigmarole of logging them.

That is damn frustrating.
I think this comes back to the old problem of how VOD operates on VM's systems, particularly with HD. Most of the VOD on VM is still provided using unique broadcast streams in the TV part of the system rather than via Broadband. These streams can be unique to each network segment, but if the capacity becomes saturated then errors start popping up. HD is still transmitted mostly in MPEG2 which reduces the available capacity in the segment further.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote