View Single Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:50   #29
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Do they need to be replace it though? Couldn't both just co exist? Bbc has iplayer, Netflix exists, 4 on demand etc? Bbc launched a new show purely on iplayer didn't they recently? But I think whilst that's good for some people they'll always prefer a live tv channel.

Both could and probably should co exist?
Hi, Vince. Yes, they could co-exist. However, others think that eventually most people will take the view that it is easier to pick the programmes you want to see, and view them without all the ads at a time which is convenient to them.

By the time the vast majority of people get used to doing just that, the number of linear channels will decrease due to the declining demand.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
How is this different? You can watch a number of live channels via TV anywhere anyway. They are just making a daft statement about how they have embraced the internet. I can't see the BBC or ITV letting us binge watch our favourite shows like Netflix do. Imagine how quickly Broadchurch 2 would be ruined for people who have Facebook/Twitter etc but could not see it all in one go. The ending of Broadchurch would be discussed straight away on the internet and at work the day after. They will just continue drip feed the episodes. Just how are ITV and C4 supposed to survive without advertising? Also how on earth are BBC etc going to film large chunks of their programmes in a small period of time just to stick them online, they have much more content to produce than Netflix. You must also remember there are millions and millions of young families who can not afford the luxury of VOD providers, or the content bundled in with the packages Sky, VM etc, who rely on linear TV. I am in my 30's and I do not see linear TV disappearing in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I watch very little live, I manage my recordings just so I can skip the adverts. I know plenty of people who still watch TV live though.
Ah, you are assuming that under the scenario painted that when a series like Broadchurch becomes available, you will be able to see every episode straight away.

However, I suspect that we will move to a new schedule each day for each channel, with a catch up facility (or maybe all programmes would move to the cloud for future viewing, replacing the need to record).

So each day, each broadcaster would list all the programmes that will be shown on that day, and from the appointed time would become available to view. This would be so much more convenient for people who do not view at conventional times (eg night workers and shift workers).

Linear TV may survive, I agree, but I think new ways of watching TV will become prevalent over time and the way we view now will seem pretty primitive.

The main issue will be how these programmes are funded in the future. It will be for the broadcasters to work out new funding streams, but I would imagine that subscriptions will bring the majority of the income for the commercial channels. This can be boosted by other income streams, such as programme sponsorship, advertising on programme guides, product placement, etc.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Who said you can't show live stuff on demand, its hardly new....? The first live on demand show was a boxing match on Sky Box Office and that was probably 20 years ago.

As for linear tv, it will always be around in some form, but I would turn things around a bit and say that linear tv shows will always be around. What I mean by this is that it is the tv show/film/content that is the most important not who broadcasts it or streams it.

If Amazon somehow got the rights to stream Coronation Street live, I'd imagine Amazon would get a "few" new subscribers. Of course not everyone likes soaps or has internet access, but millions do and would go when they can get their favourite show. If Amazon then got the rights to Emerdale and Ex Factor and other top ITV shows, that would be the end of ITV. The broadcaster is not important, it is content that is king and the people who are behind the content, especially the writers/creators of it.

Another obvious example being Game Of Thrones, which has never been shown on normal tv, yet is the most talked about show of recent years. Breaking Bad another example, which has never been shown in the UK on any channel. People go where the shows are.

I expect things will eventually shift towards portals where writers and actors come together with funding via p2p lending bypassing traditional broadcasters including the current new kids on the block like Netflix and Amazon. And their shows will be put on these portals for everyone to see.

Oh and as for the new BBC magazine show, its all been done before. There's nothing new except you'll have people tweeting in, or commenting on facebook, or calling in live via Skype. Not Earth shattering by a long shot.
Some Forum members have questioned how live sport can be shown via on demand. I am just making the point that it is perfectly possible, just as you can view a programme currently being broadcast and recorded on your STB.

I have not suggested that these programmes will all be taken up by the likes of Amazon and Netflix. You will still find them under the TV station's own portal.

I know the BBC magazine show idea has been done before, but you need to ask yourself why the BBC are making a big thing of this. There is an agenda!

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Showing a programme at 7pm on a midwinter Saturday evening, when almost the entire country is sitting in front of the TV and, thanks to its habit of watching linear TV throughout the week, has been suitably primed to expect fireworks, is always, always going to result in a big, reliable return on the money invested in its production. Putting it on a VOD platform on the other hand, is as good as hiding it from all but the most ardent fan.
Not if all the channels can be accessed only by on demand! In fact, you've probably just made the case for abolishing linear TV!
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote