View Single Post
Old 28-12-2007, 21:44   #5
homealone

Re: what does a DVD recorder need for connection to Virginmedia cable TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
Thanks or your prompt replies. My daughter does not want a V+ box because as alone parent with children she is unable to afford it.
The main reason for her wanting a DVDrecorder is so that she can record programs that the children are unable to see at the time they are shown.
Then they can watch them on their own DVD player/TV in their room while Mum can watch her programes.
In this day of modern technology I am surprised that this can't be done, or is Virgin making it difficult to ensure people use there V+ box.
Earlier in this forum a chap was asking a similar question re "how to connect the wharfdale DVD/HD digital recorder with freeview, to his Virginmedia cable TV" and people were giving him answers. It did seem very complicated.
But it was the recorder that I was considering buying for my daughter.
Now I am unsure what to do as it was meant to be a Xmas present for the family. As a pensioner I do not want to waste my money if it will not work.
The removal of the terrestrial broadcast analogue channels is nationwide & nothing to do with Virgin 'making things difficult' - it affects Sky viewers in exactly the same way.

The removal of the terrestrial channels currently carried by the cable on Virgin connections is different, but not all customers can receive these anyway, depending on which type of box you have.

Freeview is another matter, a twin tuner DVD recorder with built in Freeview should do what you describe - but limited to the programs available on Freeview, as far as I know. Without experience I can't be sure such an unit would be capable of recording from cable/satellite, at the same time as watching Freeview, for example???

The bottom line is that with the ongoing removal of the analogue channels, the ability to watch one channel & record another on cable or satellite will need two sources & two tuners or more, in some shape or form, in future.

- your point regarding modern technology is moot, but resources have been focused on keeping content available only to those who pay, rather than available to all, unfortunately .....