View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 19:59   #33
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I wish there was a smilie that illustrated my glazed eyes expression. LOL DW when I get a camera in my hand you can talk me through a few shots, until then you seem to be talking in a foreign language..
I know it looks like some arcane gobbledy-gook but it's easy enough once you can take some photo's and see the differences first hand.

With modern metering systems being so good you could leave the camera on automatic and not miss out on too much, It's only when you want to be creative with your photography that you have to concern yourself with setting the aperture and speed yourself.

Take Depth of field (DoF) as an example, it really means how much of the photo is in focus. If you are taking a photo of a flower and the background is a distraction, using a shallow DoF you can keep the flower in focus and make the background out of focus. Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...27354/sizes/l/

The wider the shutter is open the less DoF you have, conversely the smaller the shutter opening the more DoF. So setting the aperture to f8 in the example photo allowed me to get the flower in focus and blur the background. If I'd set the aperture to f5.6 or less some of the flower would be out of focus (as the leaf nearest to you actually is), I should have probably used f12 or f16 but I wanted to lose that background, it's all about compromise.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote