View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 19:10   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Connection speed is usually used to determine the host though, as the host will require more upstream bandwidth than the other players.

Having a connection with a relatively high amount of bandwidth (i.e pretty much anything higher than the VM 30mbps packages), means that you're likely to be host.
While I don't play MW3, in MW2 this was not the case. Host was determined by lowest ping, and bandwidth was not a determining factor whatsoever. In fact, this is the case in most games.

Unless this has changed drastically in MW3, I expect the situation will remain the same. In a related note, hosting requirements for most games are in the range of 50-500 kilobits per second. Even my mobile phone gets five times that.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
This is what I expected to be nearer the truth.

What I agree with him on is that artificial lag is just daft. Just let the host have 0ms latency, so what
I can sort-of see the point of artificial lag.

When I'm host in MW2, I'm often considerably better than when I'm not. Part of it comes down to whether or not you have the reflexes to benefit from an extra 50ms of response time. Incidentally, 50ms of extra response time is also similar to the difference between playing at 15 frames per second verses 60 frames per second. I think most people would find playing a modern FPS at 15fps (lol, giggidy) to be a pretty big disadvantage.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote