View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 11:32   #24
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack
Re: Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
what exactly is lag compensation?

if a game developer purposely adds lag to any connection that has high burst speed then they are clueless and I dont think thats happening.
You don't think what's happening? Lag compensation?
From what I remember, they (Activision/Treyarch) introduced it in the last Call Of Duty game too (Black Ops) and it's also present in Modern Warfare 3 (Activision/Infinity Ward).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
ok so the game lags the host, but where does the speed of the connection come into it?
No idea how it's implemented.
As I say, I don't get chance to play as often as I'd like so I've never looked into it. I'm not even sure I've ever experienced it, but there's a wealth of forum discussion out there about it.

This video from about 2 mins in has side-by-side comparisons of what the player sees and what actually happens (from both players' perspectives) when adversely affected by apparent lag compensation. He explains that the speed everyone in the lobby is set to, is decided upon from an average of the speeds of everyone else. So someone on a lower speed gets a better chance, someone on a higher speed gets slowed down. This is how it would work ideally, but the problem people supposedly have is that it's way over compensated and well, if you watch the video you'll see how he demonstrates that. Apparently, some level of lag compensation for online multiplayer games isn't uncommon - it's just broken in the COD games.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote