View Single Post
Old 17-01-2011, 09:03   #386
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

erm, I think you need to revisit problem diagnosis 101....

a) there is a problem
b) when this problem occurs, what are the inputs and processes involved
c) are there any other factors that may be involved (level of software, additional mods to software, other linked software such as firewalls/anti-virus, etc, etc)
d) besides b) and c), what else could be involved in this problem (human input, environmental factors (systems power, cooling, etc)

The problem with going in to solve a problem with one's mindset predetermined towards a certain cause, is that if the thing you are certain of is not actually causing the problem, one spends a lot of time going down blind alleys and dead-ends. It is always, imho (but with my opinion informed by over 30 years of IT experience ), important to go into solving the problem with an open mind (bearing in mind that something may be the cause, but "may" being the operative word, especially in this case when there are examples of over 180 other IP addresses involved in this issue on the SM forum - which, again, btw, is the same software that is involved in issue on the Phoenix forum).

Now, I am willing to concede that the TT bots are part of the problem, but if they are, they are only part of a bigger problem (cf the other IP addresses).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote