View Single Post
Old 14-12-2009, 16:22   #15
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Convince me on the PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Oh and I know you need to install games on the PS3. On the other hand is the PS3 better at loading times/etc. It is really quieter during games?
Not all PS3 games need to be installed.

Of the ones I've played, I think the worst culprit is MGS4, as it installs when you first put the disc in, and then also re-installs when you start each Act.

But they're not normally that bad.

A lot of games don't install at all... Uncharted 1 & 2 don't install, & don't suffer for it whatsoever for loading times or anything else. I think some of it just comes down to how good the devs are.

Yep, it is certainly quieter, during games & DVDs etc. etc. You obviously know what the 360 sounds like... the PS3 is nothing like that. No horrendously noisy disc drive or fans, no gronking or jet engine noises.

It's not whisper quiet, you can tell it's on. But it is not anywhere near the same level as the 360.

My PS3 is a 40GB Fatty. Quieter than the 60GB Fatty due to the reduction in die process for the Cell CPU from 90nm to 65nm (smaller = less heat = less cooling needed = less noise... plus of course smaller = less power consumed).

The 80GB & 160GB Fatties reduced things further by moving from a 90nm process for the GPU to 65nm.

The Slim should be quieter still, AFAIK, due to the Cell's process going down again, from 65nm to 45nm. Although I don't know what the actual noise difference is like, as I'd assume the Slim uses different fans & BD drive to the Fat.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote