View Single Post
Old 24-08-2011, 21:58   #8
wares1t
Inactive

wares1t is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: recabling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanoid View Post
Virgin have no strategy/procedure for intermittent fault curing. A technician will add a bigger attenuator one day because signal is too strong, then next day a different technician will remove it because signal has gone weak.
Good news is BT also offer fibre broadband.
The problem with intermitant issues are that (as I found out to my perril), VM will cancel the tech appointment if they see activity on your internet service again. This is an automatic process I've been told, so they arn't able to call you to state that the visit has been cancled.

Even with BT's optic broadband, the last part of the connection is via copper pair, so you won't allways get the 40Meg speeds that they say 'up to'.

ADSL is a technology that is reactive to the condition, length and type of copper pair that is in use. BTOpenreach are replacing some older and lesser performing copper cables and lead based solder used in exchanges with lead free solder and larger bore copper pair cables in some, but not all areas.

These areas will most deffinatly be larger cities where higher bandwidths can be utalised more productivly.

There is also a version of fibre broadband from BT Wholesale called FTTP (fibre to the premise), but this requires a 2 man crew, 4 hour install and a relay of a fibre based cable.

I hope this helps you,

Tony.
wares1t is offline   Reply With Quote