View Single Post
Old 30-04-2013, 21:39   #40
shoot2thrill
Inactive

shoot2thrill is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Kelly Communications

hi everyone,

just thought id give an update for anyone googling "working at kellys" like i did when i was offered a job.
it was with a bit of uncertainty that i accepted a job at kellys having read all the negative posts, i turned up at the training centre with alot of doubts. so il be as honest as i can about my experience so far

The training centre i attended was on a remote farm/industrial estate in the arse end of coventry, it was scruffy, dirty and VERY COLD! but to be fair it was the coldest winter for ages and building work was being undertaken to update the place.
the info and training given over the 2 weeks was just about adequate, (nothing to do with the blokes who taught us as they were spot on and very knowledable)
it was more to do with trying to cram in alot of info about BT aswell as a driving course AND a roadworks course into 12 days.
around 20 lads from all over the country attended and we were put up in a modern and comfy novotell with breakfast included and subsidised food and beer menu so no complaints.

On the last day of training i was contacted by my new team manager who told me i would be buddying up with an experienced engineer until further notice, shortly after the engineer then phoned saying he would come and pick me up on moday morning.
(I can say i learned more in a week out on the job than i did during the training course)

after the buddying up i was given a new van and tools, every tool i needed was there and i was told to get as much stock as i could from stores.
so far iv been getting between 4-6 jobs a day, il admit at first it was daunting but you soon find your feet and get into a pattern, latest iv worked is 7pm earliest ive finished is 12:30!
from what ive been told by various "suits" I think the days of piling on work and overloading the engineers are gone, as this just lead to lads quitting and shoddy work.
it seems to be all about quality more than quantitiy, something which BT are very keen on (almost to the point of being ridiculous)
the furthest i have worked from home so far is about 20 miles, which considering its not my diesel isnt a problem, most days im within 10 miles of home.
i get paid by a company called labourforce every 2 weeks and touch wood i havnt had any trouble so far, only downside is they take £12.50 a week for admin. the first few weeks on training wage are quite hard as it barely covers the bills but as soon as you feel confident enough i would ask to go on price work, which at the moment is £25 per job, thats £25 regardless if its a 3hour full install or a 10min faceplate change. so its swings and roundabouts,
only sh*t rule is if your "E-side" is faulty, they take £15 from your job to pay the guy who goes to fix it, even though its not your fault, so you could spent ages doing your pole and cabling to find your only getting £10 when you go to your cab to connect.
However i think kellys are slowly acknowledging this and quite a few guys from my team can now go and do there own E-sides

So overall i would say im glad that i took the job, it was either kellys or dole que??
for anyone who has done a similar role like sky or sparky they should pick the job up after a few weeks, however it does involve hard work and alot of common sense and innitiative, your TM will help you as much as he can but alot of it is trial and error until you figure it out yourself.
One thing that stuck in my mind was when TM told us kellys dont force us to work there.
if we dont like it we can quit, simple as really.
For anyone wanting to drive around in the sun and get home everyday at 2 then i wouldnt recomend kellys,
its physical work climbing and cabling in all weathers and sometimes you feel like slapping the customer and going home BUT you will also get brilliant customers and days when everything goes to plan, your home at 2 with £150 in your pocket!

Hope this helps
shoot2thrill is offline   Reply With Quote