View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 19:30   #5500
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Did you check the link regarding legal working hours for a 16 year old?
Once someone reaches 16

Young workers aged 16 to 17 are entitled to at least £4.20 per hour.

If you’re a registered employer, you’ll need to record and report their pay as part of running payroll. If they earn more than £116 a week, you’ll also need to do other regular PAYE tasks like making deductions.

Before their next payday, collect information from them for PAYE. If they started work for you in the previous tax year, put their start date as 5 April in your payroll software. Record their pay for the current tax year only.

His take-home pay will be £125.82 this includes #Sunday premium so I have a really bad feeling that unless he has a really understanding manager then he will just need to the additional hours' atm if and when required, that is unless Pip can advise otherwise.

On the way to his work tonight we advised him to keep quite atm but at the same time test the water and ask other employees his age or students and see if the store allows you to refuse your additional during the study periods.

In a way, it's our fault he has seen his Dad all his life work night shift, overtime then he has witnessed his big brother work since he was 16 while at school then at Uni, then he witnessed me work and take every bit of overtime I could get until I became too ill to work. When he was applying for job's all three of us said to do the hours and say he would be willing to work overtime if and when required as we had never heard of a Flexi contract until now and when he put additional hours down he assumed that was day's he could do overtime as this was not explained to him, it was not until he came home and told us he was on a flexi contract and once I looked into it my heart just sank at the wording it was then I pointed out to him that it comes across that Tesco will expect him to work his flexible addition hours.

On googling this contract and Tesco it does seem a bit of a hit and miss as some say while studying they were allowed to refuse and on the other side, some are saying that they were told if they refuse they will face disciplinary action.

I think his best option atm is to go with the flow and join the union then if he is being forced to do these additional hours during exams then he contacts his union rep and tells them that his circumstances have changed and see what his options are, surely Tesco understands this when they employ 16-year-olds and will allow him to refuse his flexible addition hours during exam time after all do most workplaces nowadays not constantly state about work-life and balance surely they will allow a fixed shift pattern during exam time for the working students they employ I know Sainsbury's does.

I may be worrying over nothing only time will tell

Last edited by weenie; 05-08-2018 at 19:51.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote