View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 18:40   #11
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: £60? To Run a Cable? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicus View Post
Hi.
I currently have sky multiroom, basic boxes, and I am not in the 12 month contract (I mean I've had the boxes for more than a year so can leave any time)
I was interested in upgrading one of the boxes to Sky HD, however, the official Sky website states they charge £60 for installation. This seems very high for what is basically going to be 1 cable run from the dish to the box. Everything else is already there (dish, cable, and holes drilled).

So my question is - Would there be any chance Sky would give me a cheaper installation costs, considering my circumstances? Or are they non-negotiable prices? I don't mind trying to finagle a deal, but I don't want to be on the phone all day on hold, only to find out they won't budge.

Thanks in advance

/awaits negative marks from people who think trying to get a deal is equivalent to butchering puppies.
for anyone else who is interested in upgrading:

if you already have everything installed & just want to replace the old receiver with an HD one then ring them up: 0800 0512597 & ask for an upgrade to Sky HD but with a self install, as doing it on the website doesnt work. i rang yesterday & mine is coming on the 8th july via a courier/post. the first person that i spoke to (India) said i still needed to pay £60 which i know isint the case, so i rang back & got through to England & its all sorted now. if you aint just replacing the receiver then they will indeed need to come out which does cost £60. also your old receiver is yours to keep so if they ask for it back their telling porkies. ps replacing the receiver is very straight forward & the new receiver is meant to come with a guide or look here: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/get.../self-install/

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You evil puppy butcher!

Seriously though ... try for a deal. That is a standard installation charge, regardless of how simple or complex the job is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But if you tell them you're thinking of switching to cable TV instead, you might just find them willing to waive it altogether. You will probably end up in a new 12 month contract though.
yes you do enter a new 12 month contact.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicus View Post
I know it's been over a month, but I finally got around to getting Sky HD. I phoned them up, and basically said "£60 to run a wire is too much, can you do a deal for me?" and the guy said right away that they can do it for £30. I tracked the order on the Sky website, and they even have a special 'Concession' code and name, so they clear offer this to lots of people.

I had to wait about a week for the installation, which was good as I expected to be put at the back of the line, behind all the new subscribers. The install went fine, the installer was a nice bloke, who did a neat job.

The box is quite a bit bigger than the old one, and makes a little bit of noise, even when off (the only way to shut it up entirely is to unplug it but it takes a few minutes to get started up again so it's not worth it). I am quite a light sleeper, and I got to sleep quite easily with it in my room. I expect I'll get used to it quite quickly, and won't notice it a week from now.

Thanks for the help!
you shouldnt unplug it unless you have to ie going on holiday, power cut etc as updates are sent to Sky receivers at random times & you might not get them. you can force an update however it can brick your receiver & you'l loose all settings & recordings etc.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote