View Single Post
Old 30-08-2016, 08:39   #25
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
OK. Let's just ignore the fact that BBC4 closes down every night at about 4am until 7pm next day, shall we? What a load of tosh!
Sigh ...

This is following a familiar pattern isn't it? You know, the one where you propose an idea, several people explain why it might not be practical, and then you just dig in and insist you're right.

First: please answer my question. You insist the BBC could repeat some of their entertainment shows overnight. Yet the fact is, they don't. You have rejected explanations that have been offered to you. So please, offer an explanation of your own. Why do you think they don't do it?

Second: both Richard and I explained what, in practical terms, "close down" means for a digital tv station. You either didn't bother to read it or you didn't understand it. Let me try again. A digital broadcast consists of several channels on one frequency. Even if all the staff of one channel switch off and go home for the night, the multiplex that carries their channel is still being transmitted, even if it carries no data for their channel. The service may "close down", however the actual broadcast of the frequency carrying the channel does not.

BBC4, seeing as we're talking about it, shares its portion of the broadcast multiplex with CBeebies, which operates daily from 6am to 7pm. So that portion of the multiplex is actually only unused for 2 hours every night. I doubt they think it's worthwhile simulcasting anything for those two hours. The hours from 4am are when even many of the channels that repeat shows overnight give up and switch to teleshopping.

May I finally repeat my main question: why do you think the BBC does not repeat its shows overnight on BBC1 and/or BBC2?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote