View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:36   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Road Assistance cover

The big companies, AA, RAC, Green Flag, all ahve a number of tiers of cover.

Realisitically, given your local travel, you only need the basic breakdown cover whcih will offer roadside assistance or recovery to the nearest suitable garage. Given that you are within 6 miles of home, on averagem narest garage is quite likley to be one you wold agree with.

Homestart may be a benefit. Most of the companies do not cover you within 1/4 mile of your home (just in case your attempt to bump start the car down a hill fails). On the other hand it is an extra cost, and if your car wasn't to start in the morning it would be incovenient, but is the car going to be stranded somewhere vulnerable, not reallly if it was safely parked.

You won't need relay type services - car and passengers can continue their journey, or be returned home. That's great for those who can travel a long way.

As for cover types, if the car is driven by many people yo uwant to cover the car, rather than yourself. Organisations like the AA, ususally cover the individual (can add a wife, but not sure about other drivers). RAC cover the car. Green Flag offer car by default, but they do offer personal cover too. If you are likley to flit between different cars, as you are paying the cover, not your dad (it's his problem if his car breaks down when he is in it right?), I'd get personal type cover, that way you can get assistance even whe a passenger in a friends dodgy banger.

You might be able to get a pay and use type service, i.e. you only phone and try and become a member when you need it/ If the breakdown co is quiet at the time they might allow it, but otherwise you'll be back at the queue. If you going for that option I'd say you have no peace of mind that you will get promp-t assistance when in a tight spot. You'd do just as well tohave the number of a few local recovery firms with you.

All breakdwon co memberships will cover their attendance and recovery services only. If parts are supplied, that will be a cost payable at the time. As ever check the small print to see what the cover offered will actually do.

Personally I had the AA for a number of years and on the couple of occasions I wanted help they were very prompt. I'm now with Green Flag, as they were offerred cheaply throuhg my car insurance package. Don't know if they are up to it thought, as never needed them.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote