View Single Post
Old 22-08-2008, 10:13   #4
chris9486
Inactive

chris9486 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: End of my teather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
What is running on your laptop in terms of operating system and software? Is there any significant upload or download going on including torrents, newsgroups, etc. Is the wireless properly secured / encrypted? Does the connection fail when at any odd time, even when you aren't doing stuff, i.e. overnight, or just during specific tasks?

When it crashes, what has to be rebooted? modem or router or laptop or what combination? Have you tried changing the wireless channel being used.
I am using Firefox and Vista.

I have a 10Mb connection, the biggest load I put on it is a 500mb BBC iPlayer/Channel 4OD file probably once a day if that. I sometimes download with torrent the same tv shows if I have missed them as it is sometimes faster.

I mostly use the internet for my personal photography site, flickr and profileheaven. MSN also.

When I am downloading tv shows the issue gets worse.

It is properly secured and encrypted. I use the weakest security because my neighbours are degenerates who struggle to break into a tin of beans.

It fails randomly but worse at night, the other night it was every 5 seconds or so.

It automatically comes back on, I don't have to do anything. It will appear normal and then all of a sudden a page wont load. It says "network time out" yet I can login to the router as normal.

I have tried all the channels on this router and the linksys one I had.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
Did you encrypt/password the router?

Move all wireless objects away from the router such as cordless phones and mobile etc.

Could you do this:

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /all hit enter what are the results?

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

Click start then run box /type in cmd hit ok/type in box ping google.com hit enter what are the results?

Or ping your ISP like ping virginmedia.com
I am at work now so I will do this tonight.

I am going to reinstall my vista laptop and see if it helps. Someone mentioned vista updates.
chris9486 is offline   Reply With Quote