View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51   #24
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: KILL unwanted or disabled babies at birth as they are not a real person'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The ethicists have raised a point that is very, very uncomfortable for those that advocate abortion IMO. The fact is, we have no scientific definition for when personhood begins. What we have is a fudged moral compromise, using a vaguely scientific measure of 'viability', to determine when abortion can happen and when it cannot. This definition isn't even universal, it applies in the UK but is different elsewhere.

The reason the argument is so uncomfortable for pro-choicers is that it exposes the arbitrary nature of our current law to cold, hard logic. There is no cold, hard, dispassionate reason why a severely disabled baby can be killed in the womb but not immediately post-birth. The reason for not killing such a child after birth is not scientific but moral. And if we accept the basis of the debate is a moral one, rather than hiding behind supposedly scientific arguments about "viability", what is that morality to be based on? Where should we draw the line, and why?
I agree the line where something becomes a 'person' is largely a moral question. There isn't a hard and clear line into when that happens but this has obviously always been the case and, as previously mentioned, the lack of clear lines is an issue elsewhere such as the age of consent.

I would say a person exists once they are born. At that point they exist in the world, we name them, we start counting their age, they see the world and they can breathe, pump blood, and perform the basics of life unaided. Obviously we can't start aborting just prior to birth and this is somewhat a matter of practicality. It really hard and I can see why people think life begins as conception, after all at that point you are dening what will become a person their life. Someone who would exist now will not.

I think abortion should be legal. It's not something which is good, I am not pro-abortion in the sense I like it. However it's safer and more realistic to have it performed legally by the health service and it can be the better alternative in some cases. We should always encourage contraception to avoid an abortion being needed.

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place. Typing it in a nosy train on my iPad.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote