View Single Post
Old 21-09-2011, 13:59   #21
Kizza
Inactive

Kizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ugly exterior cable installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
The extra need for the extra cable is that having it separate from the phone line delivers a superior service. Only reason BT are sticking to using the telphone lines and using VDSL is for cost reasons... easier for them to shove it down a phone line than install a separate data cable to the home.

Thats the difference between BT and VM, BT seem to be sticking with DSL, just finding ways to deliver it "better" and 1 such way has been to deliver it from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but none the less it still suffers the same problem speed loss over distance and is effected by the quality of the line.

Whereas VM use coax, which is more network orientated anyway as some computer networks before CAT5 etc were used, were actually interconnected via Coax, so Coax has always been a data network infrastructure and is a network in the truer sense than DSL making it superiour.. and like I said it is less prone to interference, the signal strength is higher.. namely because the copper core of a coax cable is bigger than the strands of a telephone cable.. and VM also amplify the signal along the cable run in their pits and cabinets so the final drop length to the home is usually minimal.

I know to you it doesnt seem like criminal damage, but I doubt VM would be happy about you unclipping it as that cable probably wont be re-used.. and also, who will pick up the costs if 1 person decides they want it again and you have removed it all?
Easy enough - we have a residents meeting and agree that if a broadband company only uses black cables that track around the building then nobody is allowed to use that company. As freeholders we are able to make that rule.

Then tidily and without causing criminal damage we roll back all the black cables and leave them neatly in the bushes. Virgin can do what they want with it thereafter.

White cable does exist doesn't it? Sky use it all the time.

Does everyone on here work for Virgin or something?