View Single Post
Old 21-09-2011, 12:56   #20
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Ugly exterior cable installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
Like I said. I wasn't aware that Virgin only used black cables. I foolishly assumed some kind of asthetic installation standard would be adhered to. My bad.

Perhaps Virgin should consider issuing some kind of standard information letter or email to potential customers of large blocks of flats explaining that black cabling will be used, and that 6 inch coils of wire will be pinned next to the window ledge of each flat.

To answer your other point: I don't believe anyone was around when the installation was done - everybody here works full time and I was on holiday. And no notice was given about when the installation was going to be done.

Thanks for the info tho. But with BT Infinity - if they already use the phone line from the box to the building, then what extra need would there be to install cables around the outside of the building?

If I understand correctly - it's fibre optic to the box and then the existing phone line to the building.

As for taking down the Virgin cables - no damage or cutting would need doing. We could just pull it down and bunch it up in the bushes in the front garden. It'd still be connected to the street line and not damaged in any way.

I accept that Virgin is better than BT Infinity, but I can't begin to describe how bad it looks. Painting the cables white would be expensive as it's a 4 storey building and access is difficult.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

True, this is what I first asked but the discussion has transmogrified, as discussions are wont to do
The extra need for the extra cable is that having it separate from the phone line delivers a superior service. Only reason BT are sticking to using the telphone lines and using VDSL is for cost reasons... easier for them to shove it down a phone line than install a separate data cable to the home.

Thats the difference between BT and VM, BT seem to be sticking with DSL, just finding ways to deliver it "better" and 1 such way has been to deliver it from the cabinet rather than the exchange.. but none the less it still suffers the same problem speed loss over distance and is effected by the quality of the line.

Whereas VM use coax, which is more network orientated anyway as some computer networks before CAT5 etc were used, were actually interconnected via Coax, so Coax has always been a data network infrastructure and is a network in the truer sense than DSL making it superiour.. and like I said it is less prone to interference, the signal strength is higher.. namely because the copper core of a coax cable is bigger than the strands of a telephone cable.. and VM also amplify the signal along the cable run in their pits and cabinets so the final drop length to the home is usually minimal.

I know to you it doesnt seem like criminal damage, but I doubt VM would be happy about you unclipping it as that cable probably wont be re-used.. and also, who will pick up the costs if 1 person decides they want it again and you have removed it all?