View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 16:41   #158
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Indeed we can, however I'm not sure about use of capitulation as a turn of phrase and I always considered that permanent grin on DD's face to be wind. A CETA-like FTA wouldn't actually resolve many of the problems of the WTO model for us, it would not soothe the concerns of business and, so far, very little progress has been made on either side. A game of chicken suits no-one - we would lose more - so Friday is important in putting aside the demagoguery, ceasing playing politics to wag the dog and presenting a way forward.

There's no need for any capitulation; there's every need for co-operation.

It's interesting your statements seem to hinge on the assumption that the EU's behaviour will be guided purely by economic considerations. I believe many criticisms of the EU focused on its behaviour not being guided purely by economic considerations, and certainly the cases made for the UK to leave the EU were not guided by economic considerations. Let's hope that, for the first time in this affair, such considerations take precedence over politics, emotions, and vague abstract notions.

While most of the EU aren't extremists like Juncker there are, much as here, a number of people in places of power that will not act pragmatically.

This article from CBC Canada is interesting. In fact, most of the more interesting articles are produced not in the UK or Europe but by third nations in my experience.
Capitulation means backing down, and in this case, agreeing to what is common sense. We all know that there's not much of that quality at the EU Commission, which is why our Government is going over their heads to speak to EU countries, who will have a much more pragmatic approach. Almost certainly, Angela Merkel will take the lead as the largest economy, and she will inject some sense into the proceedings. Expect her influence being felt after the German elections. Barnier and Junker are a joke, best ignored.

David Davis is supremely confident that there will be an outbreak of common sense before long, and the longer it takes for the EU to see the light, the more stupid they are going to look.