View Single Post
Old 13-02-2017, 01:35   #1120
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I said earlier in the thread old boy, that I reckon there will be casualties soon. There cannot be main/broadcast channels, millions of sat/cable channels, sat/cable on demand and streaming. They can't all survive.

I still believe there will be a core set of broadcast channels that will survive which will include the main networks and perhaps a few satellite/cable channels too.

As far as the American main channels go, if they do reduce the ads or even shunt them to between the programmes, then yes they will carry on too.

I said before that I reckon the main channels in the future will be like "shop windows" which will highlight all the goodies for viewers. This can be for both new and old shows. So a channel like ABC might show the first 6 episodes of The West Wing for a few weeks to get viewers interested and then you'd watch the rest on demand.

So in perhaps in future channel schedules, there could be say a 8pm slot everyday that highlights the best new shows and the cream of the crop from the past. And once viewers are enticed into the shop, they are then shepherded to the on demand services to continue watching the show highlighted in the slot.

For me, linear viewing finished years ago and I will never go back. I choose exactly what I want to watch and when, and never watch any adverts. (They should pay me if someone wants to advertise to me!).

Last edited by Horizon; 13-02-2017 at 02:08.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote