View Single Post
Old 17-12-2016, 18:26   #24
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age
Re: Southern rail strike talks to be held on second day of commuter misery

As someone who gets caught up in this mess as a commuter everyday, here is my 2p.

Ultimately this is all about pay. As soon as conductors are no longer responsible for the safe operation of services, their is a cut in their salary. They have, however, been guaranteed jobs and the same pay for at least four years I think.

They aren't trying to bring down the Government (this would have probably happened with Labour) - they are trying to protect their own jobs. I don't necessarily agree with their approach, but I'm sure how I feel similarly aggrieved in their position. The unions are thinking of the long game, because once those four years are up, it is very likely that that conductors and on-board supervisors will be removed from some services. I don't believe there is a desire to remove them completely.

And then beyond that, we are looking at full automation. It is about to happen on the Thameslink line between St Pancras and Blackfriars following the introduction of new rolling stock on those routes.

It's already in place on the DLR, Northern, Victoria, Central and Jubilee lines on the underground.

The added complication is that this franchise has been run as a management contract due to revenue uncertainties as a result of the Thameslink Programme, due to be completed in 2018 and the Brighton Mainline upgrade works at the end of decade. The Government is taking the financial risk and simply paying Govia to run the system to some agreed KPIs. I assume the Government have taken this an opportunity to force through a modernisation process, using Govia as the face of the changes.

Updated following Damien's post: This was the only way to let the franchise given the risks. It would be not palatable for Conservative government to effectively nationalise a franchise unless they were left with no other choice. But agree, the terms of this particular arrangement don't all seem to be above board given the reluctance to release the full details.

I don't really support the arguments of the unions (aside from an even shoddier service for mobility impaired/disabled passengers potentially) because they are full on contradictions. I read that the leader of ASLEF not more than four years ago said that driver operated doors were perfectly safe on Thameslink - so why is Southern so different?

The Government/Govia aren't doing themselves any favours easier. The franchise has been a shambles for much longer than the current situation and simply blaming the striking union members for the terrible service doesn't really wash.

Rail commuters might like this website: http://www.mytrainjourney.co.uk/

And Mr Grayling needs to grow a pair. It's laughable saying it politicised by the unions when the Government are affectively the paymaster in this. It's kind of unavoidable.

Sacking staff really isn't the answer as it takes at least a year to become fully trained. It's not as it you can suddenly employ a load of new people to fill in.

This still has some time to run, but ultimately the Government are going to win out. It's going to get to the point where staff simply cannot afford to keep striking. Until then, things are going to continue to be a complete and utter shambles.

*removes geeky transport consultancy hat*

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So the unions are striking over what might happen in 5 or more years time(ie 2021)?
As they see it, if they don't do it now, it'll be too late.

I'd like to reiterate I don't agree/disagree with this approach

Last edited by Bob; 17-12-2016 at 18:23.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote