View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 18:38   #37
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Back to the question of XL subs I never understand why it seems the VM have to pay for channels to come on their platform and SKY get paid to put the same channels on their own platform...
Sorry but that is not quite accurate.

Anyone can launch a channel on the same satellite that Sky rents from Astra for its UK service. However, they have to pay Sky for the convenience of being their EPG and also - if they don't want to be FTA - to use Sky's encryption services.

With cable being a closed system, channels do have to pay VM to be included in their TV service.

The only bit I don't know is, as with other posts in this thread, what criteria decides which "pack" the channel goes into.

I also agree with Chad's point about the number of channels I don't watch but for which I have to pay because of the couple of channels I do want that are only available in the XL pack. But I don't suppose there's anything anyone can do about it. So that's that