View Single Post
Old 29-03-2010, 19:01   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Yep, I've read that page, our main problem is that we don't want to block all 'number withheld calls' as our son often calls from offices and hotels whilst he is working away from home. I just wish there was an indicator as to whether a call was from the UK or from abroad.

We are hardly plagued by this type of call, in fact until this latest scam it must have been months since we had any. So the TPS have been very effective until now.
You could always opt for the tactic my mum used to employ back in the days when all the phones belonged to the GPO and they made you pay through the nose for them. If she was meeting someone in town, for example, she or they would call and make the phone ring once or twice so the other person would know they were on their way. It saved a connection charge and a unit of call cost for the sake of 10 seconds' conversation.

Tell your son you've been having problems and you're going to stop accepting calls from withheld numbers - unless you get a brief tinkle on the phone first, just to let you know that when it rings again, it will be him.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote