Thread: 200M Gamer Can All Areas Get 300Mb?
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2017, 21:53   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Can All Areas Get 300Mb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Not entirely relevant to the original query and sorry for that, but..

I have often wondered how to tell how many DS your area has. I can obviously view my DS-config via the SH status, but let's say I'm on DS9-16... how do you know if that's the lot or if there are more out there?

You wouldn't know, that's the short answer

Downstream and upstream channels are deployed per CMTS and line card so some nodes on a CMTS may have more than others due to segmentation work or extra capacity being added if its an exceptionally high use channel.

There is no hard and fast rule that you will have a specific amount of upstream or downstream channels as there are many variables that affect performance. Your service should be no better or worse if you have less or more channels than someone else on the network.

Also having more channels doesn't necessarily mean a poorer regional service, it could just be upgrade work has happened on a CMTS before other areas.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote