View Single Post
Old 26-05-2009, 03:43   #51
bigsanta11
Inactive

bigsanta11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HD is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
The fastest growing size though, in terms of sales, is 42". Prices on 42" full HD LCDs are now very low, so it won't be too long before a large number of these HDTVs are installed in people's homes.

Certainly when you walk into a home cinema store, or even mainstream stores such as Currys the focus is very heavily on 42"-50" HDTVs, with some 60" models there too.
Seeing little joe smoe, with his cinema sized panel above the fireplace or squeezed into the corner of their pokey little room ,never fails to bring a chortle from my normally sad face

(It's on the same scale as seeing someone wearing trainers(especially white grubby ones )with a suit or black pants")

He's not bothered about optimal veiwing distance/screen size ,or calibrating the set ,the important thing to him is being able to say "i've got a 50ft tv " to his mates
Along with a few over priced cables ,monster brand of course,
what a character

Anywho,i think some people get far too carried away with their "the joys of hd,it's teh bestest " reasonings,and especially those that harp on over 1080p Vs 720.(cd versus vinyl again)

The picture quality can be nice to see for the first time(just as digital dvd was ,but that was mainly down to being able to fast forward and rewind and not having the picture break up) ,especially the clarity and fine detail of (some of) it,but that's it for me,i've never gotten carried away like some people (still) are,it's akin to a caveman, making fire for the first time for them ,and you'd expect them to also act this way when they look at non tv things during their daily life ,if they act this way with a tv picture.

A turd's a turd,and a rose is a rose ,both of which i see with far greater detail than any hd format and still it's not something which makes me jump up and down each time i see either.
bigsanta11 is offline   Reply With Quote