View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 14:17   #2603
simon125
Inactive

simon125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
So I had a little bit of a dramatic install today... not great when wife at home trying to deal with virgin media install guy herself!

Our basic setup is virgin media superhub 2c in modem mode connected to a netgear r7000 router that runs dd-wrt and connects to uk vpn itself to route all traffic through such

So at some point I get a call from the install guy saying "it's not working" - I ask why.. all he claims is "it has to be plugged in directly to the hub" - I ask if that is really true - "yes it is - hub only and other one has to connect to virgin wifi only". I complain and say that I'll cancel the order then since I refuse to be restricted to virgin's all-in router given its limitations etc. Then I wonder if the VPN is confusing the V6 box - so I get the wife to switch off the VPN.. box then seems to connect / install and the guys promptly leave (in the interim his manager turned up as well after the original install guy disappeared from the property for half an hour).

So I now get home - both boxes are showing the tv. The secondary V6 box is connected to the internal wifi on my own router and seems to be working okay. However both boxes are showing "On demand is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

I ask the wife if she knows anything and apparently the guys made some claim that there is still a few things to be set up in the background... and that it should all be working by tonight! Seems a bit odd to me..

Has anyone else experienced similar after an install?

And, also, does anyone else run a VPN on their router and verified if they can re-enable it and actually use the V6 behind such?

Thanks
yes, i am running vpn on my router
simon125 is offline   Reply With Quote