View Single Post
Old 19-10-2007, 03:11   #3
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack
Re: Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
In my case it was VM's fault that I had to shell out £129.00 for my Sky+ box and installation because VM could not deliver a fit for the purpose DTV service. I kept the BB because it was solid, but alas it has gone the way of my DTV and nowadays browsing is like wading in treacle and I no longer see 10meg on my 20meg service during the day and only see 12-15meg at 02.00 in the morning. It seems to degrade slightly daily.

FYI. Sky Anytime is a complete and utter waste of HDD space as most of the content they see fit to lumber you with is stuff you cannot watch if you are not subscribed to that channel. The rest, well, if you were in the least interested you would have watched it when it was aired.

Thats my ONLY gripe about Sky+. Sky Anytime does not incur extra cost so is not a biggie although Sky do reserve 80 of the 160gig HDD for a service that to date I have not heard of any subscriber wanting.

As far as VOD on VM, from my experience of it, it is a great concept marred by dismal application. I found that it rarely worked. Content seemed to vary by the day. Catch-up TV was not updated for days on end then completely filled up and not updated again for more days on end.

Now as far as second rate PVR's are concerned my Sky+, in 3 or 4 months now, has, after a particularly violent storm, needed to be rebooted ONCE.
It has never needed a defrag.
It has never needed a reformat.
It is silent.
It has never lost a series link.
It has never made a corrupt recording.
In fact it just does what it says on the tin with a minimum of attention.
Give it 9 or 10 months.Only joking no sky+ is a great piece of kit the two years we had it we probably had about 11 failed recordings which isnt bad.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote