View Single Post
Old 18-12-2016, 01:41   #3166
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe the majority of households of the older generation, Den. But I am seeing at first hand the very different ways of doing things and the expectations of those younger than me and I think many will be surprised at the sheer speed of the changes that will affect us in the coming years.
I understand where you are coming from.

I was born in 1979. Since then I've seen the birth of satellite TV, mobile phones, home computing and the internet. Some of the biggest phenomenons on the internet like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter are less than 12 years old.

I grew up in a time when you had to watch TV as it went out, only 3 channels, but if you where lucky you had VHS and could record your shows to watch at a later time if you fancied. Watching a movie on demand went a 30 minute walk to your local video rental store.

There's a whole generation of kids, who are 10 and under, who have grown up with modern technology from birth and are able to access information, music and video within seconds. Anything they want at a touch of a button.... usually free or for a small fee. It's this generation, the pay TV customers of tomorrow, who are going to shape how content is consumed. Older people are more likely to want to stick with what they know, and may be resitant to change.

You can't fight it. The YouTube / Facebook generation are coming and will be the new target audience for SKY and Virgin Media within the next 10 years.

TV as we know it won't last forever. In 1989, when I was 10, if someone told me I could access 1000 movies with a new premier everyday (NOW TV Movies pass) for less than £10.00 per month and I could watch whatever I wanted when I wanted I simply wouldn't have believed it. Times change, technology evolves and so do expectations.

I reckon before I'm 50 almost everything from TV, movies and sport will be available to me at a reasonable price without the need of dedciated TV subscription. I'm not saying lineal TV will be dead, I think it will be less relevant.