View Single Post
Old 14-12-2011, 22:22   #50
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Except Saturday, Sunday and six weeks in the summer, then it's very comparable.
Shows how much you know about the hours teachers work to be honest.

Yes they get that time off in the middle of the year and the other holidays, they don't get 43 days paid leave to take whenever as a tube drive does and certainly the teachers I know have to work weekends in order to get lessons planned and do their marking and admin. They don't have the luxury of working for 35 hours a week and disappearing off home, they work closer to twice that during term time.

Taking a teacher and tube driver and trying to claim they're comparable is farcical. One is underpaid for what is a post-graduate position, poorly treated and has an immensely stressful job, the other massively overpaid for what is at most semi-skilled labour, protected from most of the same issues the rest of us have to deal with as they can hold their employer at ransom, and have conditions of employment well beyond anything most can hope for.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
So what? The average is four jumpers so quite different from any other driver and I'm one of those workers that doesn't get overtime for working over Christmas, doesn't mean I want others t&c's brought down to my level though.
Talking to a driver on First Great Western who's had a few one unders he got nicely desensitised to them, and moreover had no problems at all after the first one. He found the first one somewhat traumatic though not for very long, the next one he enjoyed the months of paid time off for something he was relatively indifferent to.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote