View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 17:09   #2253
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
I don't know what to think about Phorm. I didn't object to WGA and haven't suffered any ill-effects so far from allowing it onto the system. I think that's my own practical yardstick. I'm not particularly worried by Internet privacy providing nothing affects everyday life, which it hasn't so far. This has been the attitude for around eight years now, so perhaps that's a reasonable trial.
No disrespect intended Mart44, but this is exactly what they want you to think.

- from amateria's post (#2213);

"I agree with previous posters that routine inspection of communications is the thin end of a wedge that makes even more malign forms of surveillance easier - both technically, because the systems are sitting there in the ISPs, and because there is a risk that people become desensitised to the violation of their privacy. It seems to me that here are no "safeguards" against this, other than to uphold our right to privacy as a matter of principle."

(my bold emphasis added)

The abolition of individual privacy will only succeed if it's done incrementally, and that is precisely what's happening here.