Thread: 350M Speed issues
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 19:15   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Speed issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
I'm not winding you up that is exactly what virgin media tech support told me
I'll take you at your word and let you know that everything you say VM have said is absolute rubbish, isn't true and doesn't make sense.

For the benefit of anyone reading the thread who wishes to contribute this is the information the op has provided:

Quote:
: connected WiFi devices are my fire stick and mobile
: Connected eithernet devices are Xbox series S TV virgin 360box and pc
: Issue started a month ago
: How I know Im getting 20kbps speed tests like samknows as I have a whitebox
: Why in the heck would I post on here if I was taking the piss
: I posted exactly what virgin told me on the phone
:All wires are tight hub is in its happy place
Without looking at any diagnostic data and where the fault lies the first thing I would like to do is reliably ascertain what the problem is. The reason why I am confused is the logic behind it all. The SamKnows speed tests are direct to the superhub and don't touch any devices on your network so regardless of any wifi/ethernet port issues, the shub should still be receiving full speed across VM's network. If it isn't then there is either a problem with the shub, a problem with the line or a problem higher up the network. Either way, VM should have been able to deduce this and arrange a tech etc accordingly. The fact they haven't makes me think they think it is a problem on your network which they are not responsible for.

So, the first easy thing to do is forget about SamKnows and run two speed tests, one from your pc and one from a mobile phone if you have got one. I think you can do them on your xbox as well so that will help. On your pc you can go to https://www.speedtest.net/ and on your phone you can download the speedtest.net app. Normally we don't like doing speed tests on wireless devices because there are many variables which can contribute to poor wireless performance but in your case the bar is so low that anything ending in Mbits is going to be good.

To put things in perspective (not factoring in local congestion) it is peak time on a Friday evening and I am getting full speed so I would expect similar or close from anyone else.

From my PC

From my mobile The lower speed is a result of speed limitations on my phone and not due to router or wifi issues. I have included it to demonstrate what can be achieved over wireless and can obviously be used to establish what level of throughput can be achieved through the shub.

I would like to see the screenshots please from as many devices as possible, it will only take a few minutes. If the problem lies with your shub then your pc, xbox and tablet/phone should should all give a similar result whether good or bad.

Quote:
: Issue started a month ago
Has anything changed in the last month with regards to your network? Are any of fire tv stick, tv, pc or games consoles new?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote