Thread: 100M The end is nigh
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 14:12   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: The end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyRizzo View Post
In the short term, based on your estimates, you would get the best speeds from BT, but as we all know, BT sell of their network to the highest bidder, and then anyone else they can get money from. Virgin Media is a stand alone network, not selling off it's network to other sub ISPs like the long list that BT supports, so if you stay the course i'd bet money you'd end up in a better place with better speed.
I stayed the course and my 50mb connection dropped to 12mb while on BT my 40mb increased to 80. Every time I've been with VM in the last 6 years I've eventually ended up with a connection running at 1/4 it's quoted speed.

VM do sell their network to other companies, just not residential ISPs.

In fact, 60 out of the last 74 months, or my entire adult life, I have got or have been able to get better speeds on BT.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Overall I am about 1 1/4 miles from the exchange but only about 30 metres from the cabinets. The map also says that the Oldham exchange is FTTP ready.
Infinity does look better priced though.
If you're that distance from the cab I'd expect 200mbps on vectored VDSL2 30a, i.e. without fibre.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote