View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38   #161
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Pensions - no wonder there are strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Why should you get a reduction? you should be paying more.

As I once demonstrated to you in another thread, I'll do the calculation again

A constables pay after 10years service is around £36,500 not including overtime or other allowances.

if we use that figure.

11% of that = £4015.
E
x 30 years = £120,450.

If you have 30 years service you are entitled to 2/3rd your final salary per annum which would be: £24,300 per annum.

Now if the constable joined aged 20, and retired at 50 and lived a healthy happy life to around say 80? not unreasonable.

His total pension payout would be: £730,000.

Minus his massive 11% contribution of £120,450 = tax payer liability of £609,550. approx 5x your contributions.

So don't come to me with the "hard done to" on the pension front.

I'm willing to cut the police and fire service a little slack for the reasons you point out.

But the bottom line is the taxpayer is underwriting public sector pensions and it's just not sustainable, while the rest of us rely on the stockmarket.

There needs to be reform.
Any particular reason for ignoring employer contributions and growth of invested funds in the above?