Thread: Rugby Rugby Union Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30   #66
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Rugby Union

Enjoyable though it was, last week's result against Wales is irrelevant and means nothing in terms of the World Cup.

My memories of the last World Cup are that England didn't play particularly well but managed to grind out the results that mattered. That's fine by me as, although I much prefer more flowing rugby, it takes 2 teams to make that happen and there are no prizes for playing attractive rugby and losing.

England's very variable form in the last few years has probably done them a favour as very few people seem to give them a chance. The pressure England are under I believe pales into insignificance when compared to that on New Zealand who've played some astonishing rugby, have been virtually unbeatable over much of the same period and who until very recently would have been viewed as runaway favourites. Personally I think the perennial chokers may once again have peaked too early and that either South Africa or Australia will win.

I'll be very surprised if England get even to the semi-finals but then I was surprised about that last time and look what happened........

As for "heroes to zeros", there's some truth in that but at least they've been heroes