View Single Post
Old 27-06-2017, 10:01   #40
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I read that they only use 24 of the possible 26 letters which reduces the time to crack by a considerable margin. Mine didn't have 'any' in it anywhere.

I can also confirm that my daughters wifi password has no similarity to mine whatsoever.
Don't forget, it's case sensitive, so it's more like 48 letters + numbers. 58 vs 62 possible characters isn't quite a big difference.

Having said that, password length will always trump complexity. While I agree the default passwords on routers are possibly not terribly secure, they should be changed regardless.

If you change it to a password that's 15+ characters long, even purely lower case will be more secure than a "complex" 8 character password.

To give an example, if you have an 8 character password to which any of the 8 characters can be one of 100 possible values (26 lowercase + 26 uppercase + 10 numeric + a bunch of symbols, punctuation, spaces, etc.), you'd get 10,000,000,000,000,000 possibilities.

Whereas if you have a 15 character long password of just lower case letters, it's 1,677,259,342,285,725,925,376 possible combinations. Length really does trump complexity.

vs

Use a passphrase of uppercase and lowercase letters with some punctuation thrown in and nothing will ever brute force it, even with dictionary attacks.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote