View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00   #157
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Yeah I download WoW every day just so I can have the files fresh and make sure they are up to date.....

Seriously it was only a couple of examples of downloads that could make you hit the STM so why should you be punished for using your connection for something you paid for?

Fact is with more and more content online streaming, VOD, you buy a game and have to DOWNLOAD it, etc its really not hard to see that this is a step backwards people buy their broad band because of their usage which is why I think a lot of people are unhappy. I don't download 100gb's every month but I would like to be able to do a big download if I have without getting punished for it on the day.
So would I, and how VM implement their STM is a (slightly) different discussion. I agree that it should be more intelligent than the current blunt instrument it is. I suspect though, that it is far easier (not to mention cheaper) to set up an STM system activated by dumb triggers.

As mentioned earlier, the cut in speed by 50% rather than 75% is better, and I can't really think of much that would suffer from 'only' having a 50Mb download speed. I don't know how STM affects other aspects of the service, but I'd imagine that a decrease in ping/jitter quality would not be that noticeable, especially if the rest of the family is HD streaming, uploading to FTP sites, etc.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote