View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:49   #156
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
Yes, because mirroring isos is pretty normal, right? Downloading the Warcraft client every day, and buying games from Steam every day, and downloading Windows 8 every day is normal, right?

Do you think that VM are implementing these measure because of people updating Warcraft, or downloading Windows 8, or watching streamed media?

You see it every day on here, and other sites, nod and winks about downloading 'linux iso images', complaints about throttled newsgroups, boasts about how many GB a night people can squirrel away.

People squealing about how 'their' usage is completely above board and "how dare" others suggest otherwise seem to be protesting a little too much. I'm sure that there are some, quite uncommon, legitimate reasons why somebody would be maxing out their 100Mb connection 24/7, but on the whole, nah, people are generally going at it hammer and tongs.

Unless we include that aspect in the discussion of STM, then it's a waste of time, as people seem reluctant to even acknowledge the existence of such activities, when in fact they seem the main reason for having STM at all.
Yeah I download WoW every day just so I can have the files fresh and make sure they are up to date.....

Seriously it was only a couple of examples of downloads that could make you hit the STM so why should you be punished for using your connection for something you paid for?

Fact is with more and more content online streaming, VOD, you buy a game and have to DOWNLOAD it, etc its really not hard to see that this is a step backwards people buy their broad band because of their usage which is why I think a lot of people are unhappy. I don't download 100gb's every month but I would like to be able to do a big download if I have without getting punished for it on the day.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote