View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 22:16   #2683
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: U.S President: Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I think it is disingenuous of you Hugh, to compare cases of Nixon and or Clinton and claims of Trump so called Obstruction of Justice today.

For a start, the Nixon era, his high crimes were proven, he paid hush money, withheld information, told people to lie. Destroyed evidence. There was a clear case of Obstruction of Justice for President Nixon, what crimes has President Trump committed ?

Answer: None so far that have yet been proven.

The President of the United States has the Constitutional Power to fire the FBI Director and for any reason he deems fit to. He could have fired him for the reason being, it was Tuesday.

He also has the authority to direct the Justice Department who to investigate, who not to investigate.

So in this case, Trump fired Comey and he was thinking of the 'Russia thing' when he made that call. Firing the FBI Director did not derail the Russia investigation, it has proceeded apace under the Director whom Trump appointed to replace Comey.

For Congress to charge President Trump with Obstruction of Justice would cause a Constitutional Crisis because the President has those uncontested powers and there are precedents, because Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt all used the Constitutional Power to give such directives and he cannot be charged for just using his Constitutional Authority, as the Executive Branch grants.
I may not have been clear - Trump’s lawyer said a President could not be charged with Obstruction of Justice - I pointed out that that was not the case, as two Presidents in recent history had been.

I was not commenting on the validity, or lack of, of any charges that may be raised against Trump.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.