View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 14:57   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am still not sure what you are trying to say. I am being slow here, as I find your answers clear & precise normally.
You can record the same programme on as many boxes as you like,but you can`t send from one box to another.?
Technically yes that's right.

It's a fuzzy bit of copyright law that allows PVRs to exist in the first place. Specifically http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-o...-timeshift.htm

The second paragraph is important when you are talking about streaming:

Quote:
Time-shifting
A recording of a broadcast can be made in domestic premises for private and domestic use to enable it to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time.

This time-shifting exception does not however cover the making of recordings for placing in a collection for repeated viewing or listening. The making of a recording for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for your or your family is likely to be illegal.
Obviously there is no real benefit for individuals to be investigated for not deleting/wiping a recording they've made, but the Copyright holders will likely be very keen to make the distinction between the 'timeshift' exception and multi-room streaming which I think they class as something else