View Single Post
Old 19-09-2006, 01:36   #388
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Snippets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Something that I've been thinking about re Stargate SG-1 season 10:

Spoiler: 
The Ori:

OK, so they have a Supergate, or perhaps Supergates, to send their battlecruisers through from their galaxy to the Milky Way. Fair enough.

But... why the hell don't they just send a load of ships from their galaxy to ours via hyperspace?

I mean, surely they have the technology.

They're pretty equivalent to the Ancients, & the Ancients originally travelled from their home galaxy (which is also the Ori home galaxy) to the Milky Way, via ship(s) with intergalactic hyperdrives, millions of years ago, & then went from the Milky Way to Pegasus via Atlantis & its intergalactic drive.

Hell, even the Asgard, who aren't at the level of the Ancients & Ori, have got ships capable of intergalactic travel, & can easily travel from their galaxy to the Milky Way & back. And they have also given this tech to the SGC to use in the Daedalus-class ships, so now even humans can travel via hyperspace from one galaxy to another.

Or am I just thinking about this too much?
I believe the explanation is....
Spoiler: 
The Ori galaxy is supposedly so far away that even with intergalactic hyperdrives as advanced as the Ori can build it would still take months or even years to travel the great distance required.
I think it is also down to the fact that Ori battleships can only be produced by primative humans, so allthough it is possible for them to build such a thing as an intergalactic drive it is actually simpler to use an intergalactic gate instead.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote