View Single Post
Old 29-08-2017, 10:59   #2695
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This really does show the muddled thinking that is going on in the Labour Party under Corbyn.

How on Earth do they expect Brexit to work with a transitional period which keeps us in the customs union and the common market which would mean we could not implement the new trade deals on which we will rely outside of the EU?

This just goes to show how screwed we would be under the Corbynistas.
I presume they've been attending the same school of wishful thinking the Conservatives have with their thinking that the EU would be fine with our leaving the EEA and CU while simultaneously continuing to have the benefits of both.

The same one that supplies a train of thought tying the length of any UK transition to the UK's election cycle rather than the needs of UK businesses.

Neither party is especially bothered with negotiation with the European Union or the welfare of our economy and businesses here, both care far more about negotiation with the UK electorate and, especially, media.

I'm just reading comments from a former Vote Leave staffer indicating that, in his opinion, Vote Leave did not advocate leaving the EEA and their literature made a point of making examples of Iceland and Switzerland.

There was also mention of being in a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey. Iceland is an EEA nation, Turkey is mostly within the Customs Union.

Individuals associated with the campaign advocated as such, the campaign as a whole did not.

Obviously this is the same campaign that was running from the 350 million bus, though.

I suppose it's good the debate is happening however I fully imagine a destructive cliff-edge end to the negotiations. The UK has amazing people but has so far utterly failed to achieve anything notable, and the EU has made if a point of being transparent, but in turn weaponised bureaucracy.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not a good one for millions of former UKIP voters, who gambled and opted for the Labour Party in June's Election just gone, because they indicated they were for a hard brexit.
There weren't millions. Transfers from UKIP to Labour comprised about 5% of the total Labour vote. They mostly went to the Tories as they were far less equivocal.

There was a small shift balancing that to an extent of Tories desiring EEA / EFTA membership moving from Conservative to Labour.

I'm working at the moment but might find the graph showing the movements later.