View Single Post
Old 25-03-2017, 09:05   #15
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Tyre repair

Sealant foam is the same stuff as those old cans of "Holt's tyreweld" you could buy. As Osem mentions its designed for sealing around small punctures, such as something like a nail or screw in a tyre and its only designed to get you to the nearest tyre change place at low speed (much lower than a spacesaver I believe). Any other damage such as a torn sidewall or buckled wheel (very common with potholes) leaves you stranded.

Personally, I've got a full size steel spare in my car (2004 Focus) which I picked up off a friend. The standard spacesaver then went in my mum's car (2013 Fiesta) which only had sealant, and then we put together a wheelbrace and jack to change it.

Basically it boils down to this: Do you mostly drive in populated areas or urban areas? If its urban areas sealant and something like basic "call out" RAC/AA (with its 8 mile towing limit) will probably do you OK. If on the other hand you spend a lot of time out in the sticks, especially in areas with no mobile phone reception, then a spare wheel of some description is vital.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
My point being is my wheels are 19in, not sure if i could get a space saver or they would have put 1 in the car, maybe it is to do with a cars power i really dont know.

I should have googled this along time ago but the car now needs changing with 94k on it and i do 18k a year.
I don't think there's any legal requirements regarding spacesavers, just that manufacturers require lower speeds due to the relative size difference between the spare and a normal wheel.

What you might find though is that the spare wheel well in the boot either isn't there at all, or only deep enough for a space saver wheel. Some cars come with collapsible spare wheels to help get around this. I'd ask around the model specific forums for an answer.

Personally, a spacesaver is the minimum I'll accept in a car I'm driving. At least with that you can get the car down in to town and get the other tyre fixed.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote