View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 12:37   #127
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: [Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ban cars from B roads? So cars would no longer be used in the countryside areas! How would the homes in the countryside get their deliveries? Indeed, how would people living in the country get about at all? Like they did a few centuries ago, I dare say! Are you actually hinting at Year Zero? The whole concept is full of holes and would not stand up to the smallest amount of scrutiny.

And that 99.9%! I am frequently driving and observe cyclists jumping red lights and cycling recklessly. If it was 99.9%, such occurrences would be notable exceptions rather than the norm. 9% is more like it.
You seem unwilling to countenance alternatives. The compromise is perhaps too great for you but change is inevitable and it is better to plan it than for it to occur randomly imho. Creating networks is not banning cars; it is more proactive network management of the forthcoming gridlock/obesity/pollution crises.

As for the percentage I agree it is not factual but was meant as a representative comment; in the same spirit, I'd say a very high percentage of motorists are ill-equipped to drive.

There are now millions of cyclists and I believe more would give it a go if cycling was safer. That needs something more radical than splashing paint around to bolt on cycle lanes as an afterthought.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote