View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 23:53   #30
heeleybobs
Inactive

heeleybobs can only hope to improve
Re: Media Access Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
On the TiVo website. It is not on the Virgin Media website, ie the company your with.
I'm sorry, I disagree with that statement. Virgin Media is the service provider and TiVo is the product. A better way to explain the Nintendo 3DS comment made earlier is like having a phone (the PRODUCT) on the cellular network (the SERVICE PROVIDER) and disabling SMS messages but arguing it's fit for service as you can still make phone calls due to being subscribed to a telecoms provider. (You may not be aware that a similar thing happened back around 2005 with mobile PTT services which were activated in the US but not in the UK.)

It IS false advertising as TiVo capabilities are well known to the people this technology appeals to. Why promote that you have an advanced product for your service and disable the most useful and market leading features on said product. It's clearly a ploy for allowing for future enhanced features to turn on and ensure that in the general publics view you are getting extra services to justify a higher subscription rate.

May I remind you that Virgin Media have done this before (started back in Telewest/NTL days) when broadband internet speeds were started as a maximum of 1Mbps when the fibre optic network is capable of (and has been without any modifications whatsoever for many years) more than 100 times this speed with very little cost to the service provider. I've had countless offers from the cable provider at the time that say something along the lines of "Great news! We are giving you a new enhanced [insert [Edited] here] at no additional cost” when it’s cost them nothing to give it to you anyhow, in an effort to remain competitive. It is business basics to charge as much as possible for giving as little as possible in order to maximise profits, but I do ask not to be insulted by being told I'm getting some sort of enhanced service when none of the technology has been improved to provide it and it's just literally being switched on.

I'm not saying that the Virgin cable service is a bad service, or that Virgin Media are unique for doing this, but it is purely an attempt at protecting future profits and is nothing short of "marketing fluff" when the currently disabled features of TiVo are eventually activated and people who don't know better will be fooled into a false belief that they are receiving new and exciting features.

Or if you prefer in short, welcome to rip off UK yet again...

If anyone believes that this sort of behaviour from a trusted brand, be it Virgin or anyone else is acceptable, then there is something wrong with you.
heeleybobs is offline   Reply With Quote